Love food and history? Check out this collection of free old timey cookbooks and general food books available for Kindle. Don't have a Kindle? You can still read them in the cloud on your computer.
I haven't read them all, but have downloaded many of them and am super interested in titles like...
- The American Frugal Housewife (I've started reading this one and sort of love it already for its plain spoken deadpan delivery. Also because it was written in 1828 and already was complaining about how modern life was spoiling children. The author was an "American abolitionist, women's rights activist, Indian rights activist, novelist, and journalist.")
- A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes
- A Queens Delight The Art of Preserving, Conserving and Candying. As also, A right Knowledge of making Perfumes, and Distilling the most Excellent Waters
- Dishes & Beverages of the Old South
- The Queen-like Closet or Rich Cabinet Stored with all manner of rare receipts for preserving, candying and cookery. Very pleasant and beneficial to all ingenious persons of the female sex
- The Art of Confectionary Shewing the Various Methods of Preserving All Sorts of Fruits, Dry and Liquid; viz. Oranges, Lemons, Citrons, Golden Pippins, ... ... and the Different Ways of Boiling Sugar
- A Proper New Booke of Cokerye (From 1545!!!)
Some of the reviewers for these books complain that the recipes are unusable, so to be clear: I'm not thinking that these are going to...take your modern kitchen by storm. BUT if, like me, you are interested in food history or just see how people used to live, these might be of interest to you, too.
See all my finds here!